Monday, May 12, 2014

SWEPT AWAY

Photo by S. Auberle


I don't know what sweeping has to do with grieving--maybe because dirt is something we can control--rather than this black-winged death-angel who has visited today.  And so this morning  I sweep and sweep again.  Sand and hair and the faded shells of ladybug bodies gather obediently beneath my broom, to be put in their proper place--the trash-- instead of in my life where they are gritty beneath my feet and sad. 

Making soup is good too, for the upcoming rainy days.  I gather onions and peppers, corn, black beans, some broth and herbs, throw it in the pot as clouds gather, then pass.  The good smell says comfort, says home, say's everything's gonna be allright. 

I don't believe it.

While the soup simmers, I sit in brief sunshine, among orioles and rose-breasted birds, dazzling in their fancy nuptial plumage.  For a while the clouds are parting, rain is holding off another hour or day.  The world is bright, shining with spring.  How could anyone leave on such a day as this?  How could anyone make us leave?  Why why must we too soon?

A flock of pelicans wheels above, ahead of a thick bank of clouds.  The birds' wings glow with an unearthly light and the shadows of them fall on one daffodil blooming at the edge of the pines. 

From my porch chair I spot old winter dirt and, as rain begins, pick up my broom once moreā€¦

RIP:  Michael Marshall ~1941-2014

2 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

What a beautiful tribute. He must have been a dear friend. So sorry for your loss. I hope you don't have to write one for me any time soon but if you do, I will KNOW it :)

5:33 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Golightly Cafe said...

I should hope not! (that I don't have to write one for you anytime soon) and I wish I were as sure as you that we Know...
thanks, friend...

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home